Pumpkin Casserole

Serves 10 - 12

It pains me deeply to admit that this incredible and incredibly simple recipe was not passed on from my family (in fact, I passed it on to my family). I went a-browsing one day for a pumpkin “pie” that you serve with the main course and took all the work out of it for you! The original was submitted to allrecipes.com by Lori DeLosh.

It’s madly popular with everyone who tastes it and has been had for seconds, thirds, desert, afternoon seconds and breakfast.  So seeing as though there’s always some milk and pumpkin left, I normally make mine one and half times.

Deliciously creamy golden goodness just into the oven.

Ingredients
2 cups of pumpkin puree
That’s roughly 300 grams of peeled and chopped pumpkin or butternut. We don’t get tins of pumpkin puree here, so you just boil your pieces in water till soft, throw off the water and stick the hand blender in there.
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
½ cup self-rising flour
Or replace this with almond flour, ¼ tsp salt and ¾ tsp baking powder.
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
½ cup butter
2 pinches ground cinnamon

Crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. It should never be too dry!
Method
Mix everything together and pour it into a casserole dish. Bake at 180 ˚C for an hour.


I normally bake mine for an extra 20 minutes or so. Even when it’s crunchy on the outside the test pen will still come out wet and it will still wobble a little when you take it out. It will settle when it stands though, and everyone loves the comforting soft centre.




Serve with roast lamb or chicken… or gammon and Turducken a l’Orange in my case for Christmas.

Most people eat it as a sweet side, but I douse mine in gravy (which is actually quite an art, so I’ll share at some stage). It’s also a great starch alternative for banters as you can replace the tiny bit of flour with almond flour.

Use #TigerFeast and let me know what you thought via Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment