Christmas Gammon Relish


Serves 10

For much of my pre-Christmas Christmas lunch with our friends I decided to use some Woolies recipes.  I made this one for myself really, as I thought the flavours would be too strong for most people, but Woolies proved once again to know what they’re doing. This was a hit with both the gammon and turducken!


You’ll find the original on the Woolworths site; and my tried-and-tested, use-what-you-have-at-home here!

Ingredients

·       2 red onions, thinly sliced
·       2 tablespoons of grated ginger
·       100 grams of dried cranberries
I had some cranberries left from the White Chocolate, Pecan and Cranberry cookies I baked, and came just short of the 100 grams. So I supplemented this with some… shhh… raisins. Nobody will know.
·       30 grams brown or treacle sugar
Gotta love watching treacle fall over itself like ants
·       some sweet chilli sauce
I used about one and a half tablespoons
·       1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
I had Dijon mustard in the fridge and wasn’t going to get a whole jar just for this. You could also use English mustard if your guests don’t mind the added bite.
·       1 tablespoon Moroccan paste
I think they use a powder spice mixed with some water, but I had recently bought a lovely Harissa paste from the Fourways Farmer’s Market and used this.
·       4 tablespoons of verjuice
This I actually did buy a whole bottle of, but really just because I’ve always wanted to use it in a recipe. I bought a bottle at a wine farm two years ago, but never knew what to do with it and it subsequently went off. So if you do buy some, remember that it does not keep forever in the pantry.
·       extra virgin olive for frying
·       a sterilised glass jar to put it in
Yea, I wasn’t going to sterilise my jar – it came out the dishwasher and the contents won’t last that long anyway.

Method

In a large saucepan, cook the onion, ginger, cranberries and sugar in a little olive oil over medium heat.
The sugar caramelises and coats the onion and cranberries, so there’s really no need for a lot of oil.
Add the mustard, verjuice, paste and chilli sauce and cook through.
This just takes a few minutes.
Transfer into your (non)sterilised jar, let cool and refrigerate. Serve with any meat.

Use #TigerFeast and #12TigerTales and let me know what you thought via Twitter or Facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment