The Home of Paddington Brown


6 March 2015

Not many people over the age of 8 share my enthusiasm over Paddington, the movie. I was filled with childlike excitement to see it from when the billboard made its appearance outside of my local shopping centre and even got a little cousin the book for Christmas.

Finally I got my way and dragged my mom and husband, first to Spur for Buffalo wings and then to the cinema for Paddington.  


I LOVED EVERY STIL FRAME OF IT

There was more to my open mouthed fascination than the cinematography, story and quirky visual additions. The décor. The Browns’ house fits neatly into my personal style and although I really should have expected as much for the producers of Harry Potter, I was amazed at the effort that went into decorating the movie set to suit Mrs Brown’s eccentric style in blue, red and yellow. As I’m this year becoming an interior decorator (add that to author, cook, actress, journalist, PR manager, copywriter, social media manager, blogger, gardener, seamstress, vet, lawyer, relic hunter, geologist, equestrian enthusiast, presenter, client services consultant and beekeeper) I decided to have a look at the home of Paddington Brown and where we can find similar things at affordable prices in SA.

We shall start with the entrance hall. But before we do… I know right!
Woolies - in the region of R300.


Here’s the entrance hall
Red and white striped wallpaper. I found a few similar items online at Wallpaper Decor, and Fab Furnish. 

Paintings against the wall - you can't see them too well here, but they're basically colour field pieces in blue. 

I believe art should only be bought from the artist or gallery. Unless you just need a quick piece to create a certain look and know you won’t have it in your home forever. These pieces just serve to add a splash of the right colour and you can pretty much do them yourself as a fun project, or buy similar splashes of colour from home stores. Here are similar ones I found at Mr Price Home.

The rug – a real Persian number would be ideal, would it not! I know I’d have one in every room of my house if I could, but alas. You can get cheap ones with similar patterns from the likes of Mr Price Home and Checkers Hyper. It won’t fool anybody, but then again, that doesn't really matter – what matters is that you like the way it looks in your home. If you particularly dislike that sort of thing though, you may opt for something that still has the right colours, but different patterns.















Below is a close-up of the foyer for the items to follow

The shoe rack. Absolutely love this idea if you’re able to keep your shoes smell-free and have enough space in your entrance.


Any old bookshelf from a second hand thrift shop, or a new one will do. As long as it’s real wood or a very classy imitation – else it looks like office furniture shoved into your entrance.

Fill it with a pair of gummies… or should I say Wellingtons… for each member of the household. Find a selection at PnP Clothing or Garden World.




Now for the foot….

Not surprisingly, I could not find this in a quick look around in Jozi. I’m sure that something similar would be available somewhere, but these are the closest things I could find and I feel that they will lend the same sort of effect. Alternatively you can opt for an earthen jar in the same neutral.                        
     
These woven baskets can be had just about anywhere in SA and you can use varieties of weave, size and colour. For example, we’ve got a washing basket in our living room that’s filled with blankets. Get them from @Home, Mr Price Home and farmstall / craft type of shops. On the right is a particularly homely looking one.

The tree…. Although this one is obviously painted on and one would assume by Mrs Brown, the tree decals are freely available online. I chose these because of cuteness, not because they're the closest to the original. Make your pic: Fab Furnish, My WallTattoos, Sticky Things, and Vinyl Art SA.


That table 
is a very versatile piece of furniture and I very nearly bought much smaller ones in steel a few years back. I had exceeded my daily card limit though and needed to go back to the next day. But by that time I had come to my senses and realised they were way overpriced. I did however go back to the crime scene for the Paddington Bear replica – Coricraft.
Although I would never have chosen this bright – almost neon – little lamp, it really pops here! I found these cute, less neon ones from Mr Price. They have ones as well that more closely resemble the original, but it won't have the same effect as the blue. 

If you want to stick with blue, but don't want a lamp, how about a clock from Checkers? Alternatively you can opt for a more pricey piece and do away with the delft vase on the floor.

Speaking of which – I've been looking for these beauts in a personal capacity for a long time and have never been able to find an affordable and large enough one.

Genuine delft vases go four thousands at antique stores and I wouldn't plonk them on the floor at that price. These two - R500 a piece - also from Mr Price Home and large enough to hold umbrellas...

Umbrellas! Here you can take your pic from anything from a courtly Country Roads gentleman, a floral Woolworths lady,or a cheaper Checkers chap to fill the vase and last through the SA rainy season, which of course is much shorter than that of Britain.

Be sure to stick some of those handy hooks you now get everywhere in all sorts of sizes on the wall and you have yourself a little piece of Paddington Bear.


I started with the entrance hall, which has the most detail, but I have some goodies for all the rooms. So give me a shout via Twitter or Facebook if you'd like to see ideas for the res of the house!

'Till the tale brings you here again,
TigerBel

No comments:

Post a Comment