French Women Don’t Get Fat – Mireille Guiliano

Book: French Women Don't Get Fat
Author: Mireille Guiliano
Year: 2007
Kindle Price: $12,79
Pages: 304




Two matters left me just a tad embarrassed every time I told someone I was reading “French Women Don’t Get Fat”.


One: I’m admitting that I, like most other women (apparently even the French) am always watching my weight. Two: I’d hate to be that person always running after every new diet fad instead of just living a healthy, balanced life.

Interestingly, both of my concerns were addressed by Mireille early on in the book and although it did not do much for my embarrassment or the scoff of a couple of friends, it did make me care less. Which is always a great start anyway!

There really are no drastic measures and controversial principles in the French way of life described here. Whether or not that really is how the French do it, I may never know. But then, I’m not French. 

I’m proudly African. So am not too concerned about doing things in the French way. I have however been tasting the proverbial pudding in the two months I’ve been reading the book and it tastes logical, reasonable and effective. In which case I’m happy to do as they do in… Rome…?

As far as the strenuous exercise and gym she so detests goes, I won’t be offering up my sweaty cardio fix pour être français.

Now, for the famed leek soup she swears by. I approached it with a pinch of salt, dismissing it as a forgivable quirk not worth abandoning the other good advice over. I can tell you, leeks for breakfast is nothing to look forward to, but it certainly does prepare the palate to better appreciate flavourful food. The kilo of water lost over the 24 hours also serves as motivation for further weight loss, the French way.

Something that I did find very much appetising though, was a reference to a bûche de Noël, or Yule log cake the French traditionally eat on Christmas Eve. It occurred to me that I’d often heard of Yule logs and the 12 Days of Christmas, but not being American, European or Catholic, I had no idea what it was about. It sounded like it had a lot to do with Christmas traditions, which I love; and food, which everyone loves – right? Right!

If you’d also like to know more about the 12 Days of Christmas, the traditions, saints and food, you’ll want to check into Tigerbel Studio this festive season!

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook to make sure you don’t miss out on any of the Christmas cheer and recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment