“I’ve started a book club”

Say that at any worthy social gathering and you’re sure to get at least one envious response, “Oh, I’ve always wanted to be part of a book club.”

The trouble usually is there aren’t enough interesting people who are interested.
In other words, the intellectual sort you normally want at your book club to meaningfully discuss the book are normally too busy reading at home with their cats, and don’t have the desire to share their insights with the likes of you. And the girls who are always up for some chatter and wine, can’t spare the time to read a book as their social lives will most certainly pay the price.

Naturally, when a new friend casually uttered that sentence at a social gathering, I was the eager and envious respondent.

Two years later I’ve gotten to know a handful of strong and adventurous women, eaten a variety of Italian meals at quirky restaurants and… not discussed a single book.

So, two months ago I decided to have them give book club another try. I had to have a strategy though. If, by meticulous planning and a good measure of luck, I managed to pull the first meeting off, I’d be a step closer to being a very long way from having something that resembles a book club – regular meetings with all attendees actually having read the book and having an opinion on it they’re willing to share.  

The book of choice was key.

It had to be a short, easy read for busy mommies and career women.  It had to be well written though. Not only to keep everyone reading (the book snobs and those who are pretty sure they don’t like reading in the first place), but also to spike their interest in reading – I had a long term vision!

On the other hand it couldn’t be too interesting - strictly philosophy-neutral. No sense in throwing baby out with the bath water by starting a debate and bidding farewell to entertaining dinners in the process.

And finally, it had to be really cheap – so nobody could say they couldn’t afford it.
I realise at this point it’s starting to sound an awful lot like manipulation, and I’m perfectly at peace with that.

 After two hours on Amazon, I made a decision and sent out a carefully worded email. I was sure it would not be well received, but the first oddly excited respondent even asked if she could bring her sister along.  Within a few days we were a party of eight, with only one confessing she had no intention of reading the book, but would love to talk about something other than babies.

And here we are, a week away from said event. I have not in fact started a book club. But if you’re the sort of person who’s “always wanted to join a book club” you’re welcome to read the book (Harry Danced Divinely, Marian D. Schwartz
), make the food (I’ll be sure to post the recipe if it’s any good) and share your thoughts right here or on Twitter or Facebook.

If you're interested in what I thought of the book, find it here under Book Notes.



Feel free to cuddle up and join

If you were to accept, this is what your invitation would have looked like:

Your Book Club Invitation





No comments:

Post a Comment