The very end of the month petrol stop



I zeroed the odometer. Apparently any good car has 40 k’s left in the reserve when the light goes on…. A proudly South African story of how Ubuntu beat payday to it.



Why was everyone complaining about the price of petrol?


As I left my complex that morning, just going over the speed bump, that red devil flickered to life. The one in the shape of a petrol pump.

I zeroed the odometer. Apparently any good car has 40 k’s left in the reserve when the light goes on….

Apparently my car is not quite good enough.  I know from experience that it in fact has 38 k’s left on empty before it jerks to a halt in the middle of a busy road and the beggar I just ignored has to push me to the side of the road.

On this day, however, I wasn’t going to take any chances. It was the 24th day in a long month filled with unforeseen expenses, such as close family birthdays. It was another six days till I got paid, but tomorrow was Friday and that of course would set the whole world right. Before then, however, I still had to get to work and the gym twice – that’s just over 40k’s.

I’d made sure I squeezed the last drop out of my bank account before they took their pound at the most critical point in the month a few days earlier. This at great expense of my credit rating. It now reflected a dazzling minus sixty ZAR (yes, that’s a minus). In my purse I had R7, 1US Dollar, 8 Hong Kong Dollars and R1’s worth of 5cents – a coin which is now worthless in the RSA.

Taking care to take my car out of gear when approaching a halt, or the slightest sight of a downhill, I pulled into the petrol station with that general feeling of driving an empty dinky toy - aggravated by the scratching around in my purse. I came to R7 and cursed the dollars and five cents. The petrol attendant wasn’t much help either, as he insisted on washing my windows after I told him I had nothing to give him.  Then I asked him for no more than se-ven-Rand and handed him the coins.

He counted.  Again.  And counted again.

“I give you R5,” he finally said, as if closing a deal. Then in response to my confusion:  “I give you a litre – I give you R5”.

Two thoughts went through my head:

One – why is everyone complaining about the price of petrol if you can get a whole litre for only R5!?

Two – is he going to keep the other R2 as a tip for washing the window I told him not to and am I going to let him keep it?

I have a childlike trust in petrol attendants – probably because they look after cars, just like dads. So I figured who was I to argue with him about his business and I let him fill my car with R5.

“Ok, I give you R5,” said he when done.

Yes I got that. “And what about my R2 change?”

“I give you R5,” he repeated and took a R5 coin from his pocket adding it to my six R1 and two 50 cent coins.  “It makes one litre.”

Speechless.  I drove away in a still basically empty dream car. Big up to Grined (grin-Edd) from the Lonehill Engen for getting me to the weekend with a large helping of Ubuntu. #ILoveSA.

If you liked this proudly South African story of how Ubuntu beat payday to it, go like my Facebook page to make sure you get the next one. www.facebook.com/TigerBelWriting



 

No comments:

Post a Comment